Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Canvas Remix shakespeare and music

            The process of remixing the canvas was tedious at first it didn't really have any of the material from the first remix when I clicked the remix button at the top right. I don't know how to transfer a widget otherwise so I began taking my idea to incorporate Michelle Fernandes's awesome canvas on Shakespeare and compliment Shakespearian composing with the musical composing we did in my last canvas. I really love what I came up with. You will not believe how much musical lyrics have been written with inspiration from William Shakespeare. Michelle had done a compare and contrast, and reflected on the twelfth night. I have two songs titled "star crossed lovers" inspired by Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. We are to compare them and other music to Shakespeare’s lines and quotes to see how the musical composers incorporated Shakespeare. I wanted to broaden Michelle’s idea for Shakespeare just so I could use more quotes from different musicians that were already in songs. Students will see how they could use Shakespeare as inspiration in their compositions.

            From my content I added musical composition, different styles of music and from her content I used compare and contrast, written composition, and of coarse Shakespeare. The students will be both reflectively writing about lyrics and shakespeare's writing. The website did not let me remix her page so I simply linked her page in a widget. I added her essential question to my remixed canvas and made sure that my unit could still answer that and meet her NJCCS and well as mine. I added some resources to her two widgets of resources. I put up two different music video's instead of the she's the man one and the twelfth night so that students could focus a little more on just Shakespeare’s overall writing and also to relate Shakespeare a little more toward the music side of the lesson. Since students will be reflecting on music and writing two very personal things, I wanted to leave that room to use whatever quote or music lyric related to Shakespeare they wanted, this way students will have a greater chance to choose a Shakespearean idea that is more relevant to their lives beyond the idea of one piece.

http://www.play.annenberginnovationlab.org/play2.0/challenge.php?idChallenge=2768&mode=view 

1 comment:

  1. Miguel-
    This is a really interesting way to incorporate two seemingly separated subjects quite seamlessly. It is always difficult for an English teacher to not only teach Shakespeare, but for the message and themes to get across, while students find it difficult and often times, rather boring. If teachers could find a way to break down the barrier most students (and many teachers) have erected when it comes to Shakespearean works, they could see the beauty of Shakespeare's genius, and how it is still relatable today. Using music is a fantastic way to break down this wall, while it is a subject most young people have interest in and can relate to. This has the potential to make a seemingly archaic text relatable and applicable to students lives.

    ReplyDelete